From: Jason L Tibbitts III <tibbs @ hpc . uh . edu>
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 1996 22:10:56 -0500
To: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

 panix .
 com> writes:

DL> I'm curious to know how many other list owners are receiving
DL> indications that their lists are being added to other lists, as pranks
DL> or some other form of abuse?

I've been on the other end of the problem; people were trying to subscribe
other lists to one of my lists, which carries a rather large amount of
somewhat bizarre traffic.  I switched to requiring approval if the From:
line didn't match the the subscription address, but this only led to forged
subscribes.  Then I moved to confirmed subscribes and the problem stopped.

I have also had people create their own mailing lists, subscribe them to my
list, then subscribe victims to that list.  Needless to say it didn't take
long to figure out who was causing that mess.

DL> Is this rare or common, and why do I suspect there is no way to prevent
DL> it from continuing?

I imagine that is close to impossible to prevent someone from subscribing
your list to another list if that list doesn't have adequate security.  At
least the source of messages from one list will be somewhat constant,
though, so it's less of a problem than getting rid of some person who posts
from random addresses.
--
      Jason L. Tibbitts III - tibbs @
 uh .