Subject: Re: List probing
From: "Henry W. Miller" <henrym @ sacto . mp . usbr . gov>
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 1996 02:17:43 PDT
To: wigs @ aurora . cc . monash . edu . au
Cc: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM, henrym @ sacto . mp . usbr . gov

> From:	MX%"wigs @
 aurora .
 cc .
 monash .
 edu .
 au" 19-SEP-1996 01:23:01.16
> Subj:	Re: List probing

> Henry W. Miller wrote ...
> > 	Has anyone seen any attempts to probe their lists from
> > mldmail @
 reference .
 com?

> Yes. The milieu @
 yoyo .
 cc .
 monash .
 edu .
 au (majordomo) mailing list
> received an attempt thisafternoon.
>
> Wigs, Manager of the Julian May Discussion list

	Based upon a previous message to the list, I hit their WEB site,
http://www.reference.com/.  Looks fairly harmless, like DejaNews, except
that they cover mailing lists as well.

	Does anyone have good/bad feelings about this?  The list that
they tried to probe was closed, so the message bounced to the list
manager and postmaster, both being me.  I have some lists that I do not
want "indexed".  Others I don't really care, in fact it might breath
some new life into them.  But I definately do not want any of my lists
to become SPAM targets, as I'm sure none of us do.

	Best,

-HWM

Indexed By Date Previous: Re: List probing