Subject: Who is Parsecweb/WhoWhere?
From: jeffw @ smoe . org (Jeff Wasilko)
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 1996 23:04:41 -0400 (EDT)
To: list-managers @ greatcircle . com
Cc: rupesh @ WHOWHERE . COM

I started getting a bunch of bounces on my lists for an address
'mlist @
 parsecweb .
 com':

   ----- The following addresses had delivery problems -----
/home/rupesh/email-service/MISC/SUCKING-MAILING-LISTS/mlist
(unrecoverable error)
    (expanded from: <mlist @
 parsecweb .
 com>)

550 /home/rupesh/email-service/MISC/SUCKING-MAILING-LISTS/mlist...
Can't create output: Stale NFS file handle

When I dug around, I found that mlist is subscribed to all of my
mailing lists. I took a look at www.parsecweb.com (which is the
same as WhoWhere), and it seems to be yet another 'net indexing'
service....

I do wish people would learn that it is polite to ask for
permission before indexing a list.

-Jeff

Indexed By Date Previous: bogus subscriptions - lists on lists