From: "Adam H. Kerman" <ahk @ chinet . chinet . com>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 1996 01:05:53 -0500 (CDT)
To: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

> Date: Mon, 16 Sep 1996 20:22:11 -0400 (EDT)
> From: Danny Lieberman <dfl @
 panix .
 com>

> I'm curious to know how many other list owners are receiving
> indications that their lists are being added to other lists,
> as pranks or some other form of abuse?

Amazing. The very next message in my mailbox was the following (the
damned thing went out to the list):

{begin extracts from message}

>From Howard_Marsh @
 smb .
 comTue Sep 17 00:50:19 1996
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 1996 18:27:26 -0400
From: Ward Marsh <Howard_Marsh @
 smb .
 com>
To: Smith Barney Mail List <muni @
 smb .
 com>
Subject: Thanks for Your Subscription

Welcome to the Smith Barney Muni mail list.

We will be mailing you news about the municipal bond market every ten days
or so.                                                      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

For example this week as the stock market climbs to new highs,
Smith Barney is please to bring you municipal bond offerings
from Hawaii and Sand Diego.
                ^^^^

{end of Smith Barney message}

Given the number of misspelled words, I wonder if this thing is a bad joke.

I like the innovations: "Our listserv cannot handle list commands, so
unsubscribe by fax, or give us a personal call to hear another sales pitch."

I'll have to look into seeing if a complaint could be filed with SEC or
National Association of Securities Dealers.