Subject: Re: Re[2]: Jodge orders AOL to allow junk email... (fwd)
From: "E. Allen Smith" <EALLENSMITH @ mbcl . rutgers . edu>
Date: Sun, 15 Sep 1996 00:35 EDT
To: brian @ ilinx . bctel . net
Cc: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

From:	IN%"brian @
 ilinx .
 bctel .
 net" 14-SEP-1996 19:18:55.04

>Yeah, the term you use is "free" speech (you don't need to lecture me on
>the alternate use of the word free in this context.  I know what "free"
>refers to in "free-speech") not "you pay for me to speak to you"-speech.  I
>have to pay a real out of pocket cost price to have spam sent to me.  How
>does that fit in with your argument??  Does free-speech give me the right
>to harass people at their expense for as long as I want (and they can
>afford to pay for me to do it)??

	As I've said time and again - read the whole thread before you
respond, please, otherwise you're sending mail as useless as the spammers' -
I'm not claiming that spammers should be free to send to you over your
objections. I'm saying that, to protect free speech, commercial email needs
to be as capable as non-commercial email of being legally anonymous.
	-Allen

Indexed By Date Previous: Re: Jodge orders AOL to allow junk email... (fwd)