Subject: Re[2]: Jodge orders AOL to allow junk email... (fwd)
From: "Brian J. Murrell" <brian @ ilinx . ilinx . com>
Date: Sat, 14 Sep 1996 16:23:14 -0700 (PDT)
To: EALLENSMITH @ ocelot . Rutgers . EDU
Cc: ERIC @ VM . SE . LSOFT . COM, list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM, remailer-operators @ c2 . org

from the quill of "E. Allen Smith" <EALLENSMITH @
 ocelot .
 Rutgers .
 EDU> on
scroll <01I9AJ8L4SCC9ULM12 @
 mbcl .
 rutgers .
 edu>
> 	First, there are some free-speech problems with this. Just because
> someone's writing you about something commercial, and hasn't done
> business
> with you before, doesn't mean that they aren't protected by the First
> Amendment.

Yeah, the term you use is "free" speech (you don't need to lecture me on
the alternate use of the word free in this context.  I know what "free"
refers to in "free-speech") not "you pay for me to speak to you"-speech.  I
have to pay a real out of pocket cost price to have spam sent to me.  How
does that fit in with your argument??  Does free-speech give me the right
to harass people at their expense for as long as I want (and they can
afford to pay for me to do it)??

b.

--
Brian J. Murrell                                               brian @