Subject: Re: Jodge orders AOL to allow junk email...
From: meo @ schoneal . com (Miles O'Neal)
Date: Sun, 8 Sep 1996 18:38:11 -0500 (CDT)
To: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

Brad Knowles said...

|	All I ask is that the law preventing junk faxes be extended to
|junk email as well -- in both cases, the recipient is bearing the
|bulk of the costs of the transmission, and therefore their right to
|have a publicly known "address" that can not be abused (without legal
|repercussions) should not be abrogated.

I can deal with that just fine!

Personally, I don;t mind the occasional ad that
shows up in emailbox - when they show reasonable
cause for believing I might be interested.  The
spams that come in because I am in their target
markets (human beings not in the life-challenged
category), or even those automated by keyword
searches (I have had everything from ecological
mail to business opportunities to people wishing
to sell me food show up, all because of my bogus
business - Roadkills-R-Us [1]) I have no use for.
I would love to be able to auto-dial all their
phones (on their nickel, from Thule) for each
person their email went to.  And that's when I'm
feeling especially nice.  Other times I favor
public stocks, public lashings, and a number of
other things we have foolishly gotten far too
"civilized" to continue.

-Miles

[1] My favorite was from a Congresscritter who
    knew I was politically aware because of all
    the "great politicians" I referenced on my
    web site.  They failed to not, of course,
    that in every case, I was either poking fun
    at the pol referenced, or demanding accountability.

Indexed By Date Previous: Re: Jodge orders AOL to allow junk email...