Subject: Re[2]: Help with Forgeries
From: "Brian J. Murrell" <brian @ ilinx . ilinx . com>
Date: Sun, 8 Sep 1996 12:49:49 -0700 (PDT)
To: brad @ his . com
Cc: tcs @ earthlink . net, list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

from the quill of Brad Knowles <brad @
 his .
 com> on scroll
<v03007804ae5809be95ba @
 [205 .
 177 .
 25 .
 174]>
> At 8:49 PM -0400 9/1/1996, Jody Boyd wrote:
> 	I know of no tools that let you refuse connections based on parts
> of the "body" of the message (including most of what you and I
> consider to be the headers) while the SMTP connection is open.

Ah.  Something I've given a bit of thought to lately.  We usually will not
install Sendmail as the daemon to which the Internet talks.  Too much of a
security risk.  So we usually install TIS' fwtk smap/smapd to receive and
pre-process mail from the Internet.

I've thought of numerous enhancements to smap that allow one to setup a
rules based type of processing of incoming mail.  The first one I'd like to
implement is to reject mail which doesn't have a valid envelope sender.  If
the mail can't be bounced back to the sender (for whatever reason) it won't
even be considered for delivery.

b.

--
Brian J. Murrell                                               brian @