Subject: Re: Jodge orders AOL to allow junk email... (fwd)
From: Eric Thomas <ERIC @ VM . SE . LSOFT . COM>
Date: Sun, 8 Sep 1996 16:06:09 +0200
To: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

On   Sat,  7   Sep   96  23:03:09   EDT   Info-LabVIEW  List   Maintainer
<info-labview-request @
 pica .
 army .
 mil> said:

>Now I've heard (OK, read) it all. "a law"
>
>What country, pray tell, would said law be passed in? Enforced in?

All the countries  that I've lived in have  laws governing telemarketing.
These laws are  similar, although the details vary. They're  here to make
sure scam salesmen  can't harrass people who ask them  to stop calling. I
don't see any  reason why these laws couldn't be  amended to clarify that
telemarketing through the Internet is still telemarketing. Or maybe a new
law isn't even needed, just a case.

Incidentally, so far 100% of the spam joints have been in the US. To tell
you the truth, telemarketing is virtually absent in most other countries.
There ARE companies  that do it, but  now that you mention  it, I haven't
been telemarketed  a single  time in  my life while  in Europe.  When I'm
visiting our US  office, someone calls me at the  office every other week
to try and sell  me some sort of newsletter that would  help me manage my
stock or mortgage or  whatever. I have no idea where  these people get my
name  from.  I don't  live  in  the US,  I'm  not  subscribed to  any  US
publication, unless the government is selling  my name to people it's got
to be  my bank, since when  the scam reps call  they ask to talk  to Eric
Thomas. So I guess my bank is selling  my name to idiots who want to help
me with  the mortgage  I don't  have, and who  want to  make sure  that I
understand that keeping  my money with the bank is  not a good investment
and I should give it to them for higher returns. Ah well.

Anyway, a US law would help nailing the current spam joints and sending a
message  to  people who  may  be  thinking of  doing  the  same in  other
countries.

  Eric

Indexed By Date Previous: Re: AOL forced to accept spam