Subject: Re: AOL forced to accept spam
From: Brad Knowles <brad @ his . com>
Date: Sun, 8 Sep 1996 02:17:57 -0400
To: alancz @ ix . netcom . com (Alan Czarnek), list-managers @ greatcircle . com

At 1:35 AM -0400 9/8/1996, Alan Czarnek wrote:

>In the letter to AOL subscribers, Steve Case said that one of the most
>frequent complaints received by AOL from its customers has been about
>getting this unwanted junk email..........

	Yup.  It's the #1 complaint, and so far as I know, the #1 reason
why subscribers leave.

>It is pretty easy to get large chunks of the AOL subscriber list, (just
>search for keywords) and some folks must have been pretty busy
>collecting addresses using this method......... Maybe AOL will have to
>change to an unlisted address policy......

	We've identified several ways to get large numbers of AOL
usernames.  Some of them require people to be paid to subscribe to
AOL and directly violate our Terms of Service, which I'd like to see
get taken up as a breach of contract issue and maybe even criminal
charges filed.  However, there are some others as well.  None of them
is complete in and of itself.

--
Brad Knowles,                                  MIME/PGP: brad @
 his .