Subject: Re: Jodge orders AOL to allow junk email...
From: Brad Knowles <brad @ his . com>
Date: Sun, 8 Sep 1996 01:54:02 -0400
To: Dave Bigham <dbigham @ cantec . com>, list-managers @ greatcircle . com

At 6:46 PM -0400 9/7/1996, Dave Bigham wrote:

>All kinds of "rights" are being discussed in this thread.  None of them
>apply really. The entire situation arose because AOL wants to reduce costs.
>It costs connectivity resources (bigger data pipes) to handle all the
>spammers' mail. It costs personnel resources (more customer service reps) to
>handle the complaints. It costs revenue resources (lost customers) because
>of the aggravation.

	Millions of $$$ worth of costs that the junkmailers should be
required by law to support out of their own pocket, or not be allowed
to conduct business (throw their carcasses in jail).

	We get hit first, simply because we're biggest.  But everyone
ultimately suffers, because ultimately everybody will be "big enough"
to be noticed and junkmailed into oblivion.

--
Brad Knowles,                                  MIME/PGP: brad @
 his .