Subject: Re: Jodge orders AOL to allow junk email... (fwd)
From: Brad Knowles <brad @ his . com>
Date: Sun, 8 Sep 1996 01:49:55 -0400
To: Eric Thomas <ERIC @ VM . SE . LSOFT . COM>, list-managers @ greatcircle . com

At 3:17 PM -0400 9/7/1996, Eric Thomas wrote:

>Personally I think the first step in  fighting spam in the legal arena is
>a law  that clarifies that telemarketing  laws apply to spamming  and the
>Internet as  well.

	All I ask is that the law preventing junk faxes be extended to
junk email as well -- in both cases, the recipient is bearing the
bulk of the costs of the transmission, and therefore their right to
have a publicly known "address" that can not be abused (without legal
repercussions) should not be abrogated.

	You will note that the law specifically prohibiting junk faxes
was written to prevent the unsavory activities of a certain Sanford
Wallace....

--
Brad Knowles,                                  MIME/PGP: brad @
 his .