Subject: Re: Jodge orders AOL to allow junk email...
From: meo @ schoneal . com (Miles O'Neal)
Date: Sat, 7 Sep 1996 12:28:10 -0500 (CDT)
To: ERIC @ VM . SE . LSOFT . COM (Eric Thomas)
Cc: stanr @ sunspot . tiac . net, list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

Eric Thomas said...

|Obviously AOL  is free to  stop accepting  Internet mail. The  problem is
|that AOL has  been singling out a number of  companies, and rejecting any
|and all mail coming  from them. What you would say if  MSN did not accept
|e-mail from companies selling products  that compete with MS's? Would you
|still say they never agreed to accept this mail in the first place?

1) That's a completely different case - AOL is not trying
   to stifle competition; they are trying to provide a
   service to their users, and cut down on waste.  Whether
   or not they are gioing about it correctly is currently
   being debated, not whether they are stifling competition.
   Note the quote by the Slime King - the claim that they
   are trying to protect the "civil rights" of AOLers - not
   their own.

2) It wouldn't surprise me in the least if MSN *did* try it.
   It would be consistent with the overall MS marketing
   strategy...

-Miles