Subject: Re: Jodge orders AOL to allow junk email...
From: Mitch Collinsworth <mkc @ graphics . cornell . edu>
Date: Fri, 06 Sep 1996 21:18:57 -0400
To: Eric Thomas <ERIC @ VM . SE . LSOFT . COM>
Cc: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

>I'm talking about  direct person to person e-mail here,  not mail sent to
>mailing lists or  stuff posted to usenet. LISTSERV will  filter list spam
>for you and  there are cancelbots for usenet. The  spammers are switching
>to direct delivery so they can bypass  all these things and hit the users
>directly.

Hmm...  Eric, I think you missed my point.  I didn't mean spam being sent
to lists.  I meant good old every day list traffic.  You suggested AOL
adopt a policy of blocking any message sent to more than 500 AOL users,
regardless of sender or content.  I'm saying what about a largish
mailing list that has 500 or more AOL subscribers?  When someone sends a
message to that list the result will be a single message sent to 500 or
more AOL subscribers.  Hard to distinguish from a spam if you ignore
source and content!

-Mitch

Follow-Ups:
Indexed By Date Previous: Re: Jodge orders AOL to allow junk email...