Subject: Re: list command/.sigs
From: Jason L Tibbitts III <tibbs @ hpc . uh . edu>
Date: Wed, 04 Sep 1996 13:48:51 -0500
To: today @ di . com
Cc: List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM

 di .
 com> writes:

[...]
TD> If someone subscribes from a machine like apple.fruit.com but their
TD> simple email address is user @
 fruit .
 com, often their From: address will
TD> be user @
 apple .
 fruit .
 com and the automated packages will sign them up at
TD> that address.  [...] When they go to unsubscribe, perhaps they are
TD> using orange.fruit.com that day.

In addition to the "fuzzy" match that majordomo can use (which needs to be
worked on, and is on my list) it also sends exact instructions for removing
yourself even when your address changes.  Unfortunately it does this when
you subscribe, and subscribers are often too clueless to save the message.
(Yes, it does say "save this message".  If only I could make it blink.)

TD> What recourse for the user?  Grab the user list, figure out which
TD> address they got subscribed as, and try again.

Majordomo has the "which" command that will will do a substring search on
all of the subscriber lists.  (Yes, you can limit the number of hits, at
least in the version that just went beta.)  While the probability of this
matching does go down with the size of the list, it does work rather well
and doesn't require pulling down the whole subscriber list.

Do other list servers not do this?  (It's a real question; I've always used
Majordomo).  If there's something else that can be done I'd be interested
in hearing about it.

TD> [...]  Now I have to deal with tracking down these unsubscribe (and
TD> address change) cases myself.

I say "Ug.  Send Received: headers, you get off list.  Ug." and go back to
business.  It usually doesn't take any time at all to track things down
based on that.
--
      Jason L. Tibbitts III - tibbs @
 uh .