Subject: Re: list command/.sigs
From: garyb @ fxt . com (Gary Bickford)
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 1996 01:42:35 -0700 (PDT)
To: List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM
Cc: Todd Day <today @ di . com>

From: Todd Day <today @
 di .
 com>
>As a reader, it is tough to keep up with a 40k digest per day, so I try to
>make it as easy as possible for my readers to get through.  I also remove
>excessive quoting (which seems to be a big problem on this list).  Huge
>amounts of quoting makes digests *incredibly* difficult to read and follow.
>(hint hint! :-)

This reminds me - long standing fantasy of mine (since 1983 at least) -
maybe this is the right list to discuss it.  I've always felt that the
mechanism of manual quoting in news & mail messages was inefficient on
several levels.  I'd like to see a protocol & related standards (shades of
Ted Nelson!) for inclusion by reference, offset & length, for whatever
snippet one wants to include, rather than the actual snippet.  This of
course requires more sophisticated server/client interaction, but would
eliminate the doubling or so of traffic and storage, and no doubt improve
the overall communication.  I've built some chat systems that could
probably be adapted to do this, using a lightweight sql server.

So, oh mighty mail system builders, how 'bout it?  how about a real
dbms-backed mail/object server, and client (well, maybe just a web page, I
know, I know)

        |        end
      --+--      Gary Bickford <garyb @
 fxt .
 com>
        |        FXT Corp. / Informat Communications
        |        541-923-3060
        |        fax 541-923-5537

Indexed By Date Previous: Re: Illegitimate information posting! beware! Abuse may follow!