Subject: Illegitimate information posting! beware! Abuse may follow!
From: arielle @ taronga . com (Stephanie da Silva)
Date: Wed, 4 Sep 1996 23:56:17 -0500 (CDT)
To: List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM

> |>Apples and oranges, funny guy.  The original thread started by people
> |>complaining about someone gathering list information.  Nothing had been
> |>done with the list information, it was just being gathered.
> |
> |	gathering information only.....not going to use it??
>
> The point is that until they have *abused* the information, they have
> done nothing wrong.  They can even *use* the information without *abusing*
> it.

A number of people seem to be forgetting that abuse was done during the
information gathering.  I seem to recall various site admin-types getting
distressed because large loads were being put on their listservers from
multiple "who" commands done on lists with large numbers of subscribers.

And yes, there was intent to use the information.  An intent which some
people objected very strongly to. (Peter just about hit the roof when I
told him what was going on, e.g. -- interesting, because the two of us
had about the opposite reactions to this occurance then we usually do
to this kind of situation....)

Follow-Ups:
Indexed By Date Previous: Illegitimate information posting! beware! Abuse may follow!