Subject: Re: Is the lists command legit
From: sullivan @ fa . disney . com
Date: Wed, 4 Sep 1996 10:06:54 -0700
To: List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM

> I'd like to be able to leave my subscriber lists world-readable without it
> inevitably leading to abuse of that information by spam-spewing sleazebags.
> Kind of like I was able to do until about eighteen months ago.

Welcome to 1996.

> > If you run a mailing list and don't want your subscriber lists going out
> > then don't make them available to the public.
>
> Wow, what a trenchant and insightful observation.  Let's all give Mike a
> big hand!

Since you apparently hadn't thought of it, I figured I should point it out ;-).

> I take it from the fact that you provide this information "publicly", you
> wouldn't mind someone wandering over to rec.arts.disney.* and telling
> everyone that they're welcome to call you to chat about what a jerk they
> think Eisner is, ask for tips on breaking into the biz or getting
> replacements for their laser-rotted copies of the BatB "Work-In-Progress"
> LD, email you for GIFs of Esmeralda sticking things up herself, etc. etc.
> After all, if you didn't want the information abused, you wouldn't
> let anyone have it, right?

Apples and oranges, funny guy.  The original thread started by people
complaining about someone gathering list information.  Nothing had been
done with the list information, it was just being gathered.  I've never
claimed that _abuse_ of list information was a good thing.  I was just pointing
out that it's silly to complain about someone merely gathering information
because they _might_ do something bad with it.

And if I didn't want people calling me or mailing me or emailing me, I
wouldn't have that information in my .sig.  People email me Disney-related
stuff all the time.  No big deal.
---
Michael Sullivan                     sullivan @
 fa .
 disney .
 com
Walt Disney Feature Animation        +1 818 560 8196 (voice)
500 S. Buena Vista St.               +1 818 560 8290 (fax)
Burbank, CA  91521-4870

Follow-Ups:
Indexed By Date Previous: Signature Line Policies??