Subject: Re: Network outages ?
From: Matti Aarnio <mea @ utu . fi>
Date: Wed, 4 Sep 1996 13:12:58 +0300 (EET DST)
To: List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM

> I dunno if this is really the place to ask, but I have no idea where else to
> turn.
>
> Has anyone seen signs of connectivity problems between the mainland US and
> Europe? I have lots (like nearly 200) of outgoing mail queued, most for
> delivery to Sweden, France, etc, most since Thursday morning (29th Aug).
>
> Traceroute runs to those sites I can still get DNS info for times out at an
> IP address with an SOA pointing to Sprint (icp.net). I can't find any
> network info on their WWW site.

	There are massive performance problems at/near Pensauken, NJ,
	where the 34 Mbps link from NORDUnet reaches USA at Sprint's
	connection point.   Basically (I have been told) the problem
	is caused by several high-speed links coming in, and without
	enough capacity at FDDI-rings going out...

	As if that would not be bad enough, the saturation causes
	trouble at global IP routeing updates from peering routeing
	systems to the trans-atlantic link system (well, to NORDUnet),
	and as the routers can't successfully talk with each other
	(due to 80% packet losses at the times), the routing starts
	to flap around making things even worse.

> Ideas?

	Patience.  Sprint is going to replace those FDDI rings with
	622 Mbps guaranteed bandwidth ATM, but it will take some time yet.

>                   Tom Coradeschi, Info-LabVIEW List Maintainer
>                       <info-labview-request @
 pica .
 army .
 mil>
>           http://k-whiner.pica.army.mil/info-labview/info-labview.html

	/Matti Aarnio <mea @
 nic .
 funet .
 fi> <mea @
 utu .
 fi>

Indexed By Date Previous: list command/.sigs