Subject: Signature Line Policies??
From: Cyndi Norman <cnorman @ weber . ucsd . edu>
Date: Wed, 4 Sep 1996 03:23:13 -0700 (PDT)
To: alancz @ ix . netcom . com
Cc: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM, cnorman @ weber . ucsd . edu

   Date: Tue, 3 Sep 1996 19:21:45 -0700
   From: alancz @
 ix .
 netcom .
 com (Alan Czarnek)

   I have a couple of people on my list who seem to post mainly to
   advertise things in their sig line..... most messages from them
   look something like this....

   [...]

   In other words their commercial sig line is far longer than
   any message that they ever post.  Do any of you list managers
   have any workable policies to deal with this problem????

Alan, thanks for putting the problem so sucintly.  I deal with it by
banning all advertisment (well, I have a file on the webpage stating
exactly what I mean by that) and I make it clear that .sigs count as
advertising.   When I subscribe people, I comment on their .sigs if I think
they will be a problem and tell them they are welcome to read posts if they
are a commercial entity but that ads are not allowed should they choose to
post.

Cyndi
"There's nothing wrong with me.  Maybe there's                Cyndi Norman
something wrong with the universe." (ST:TNG)              cnorman @
 ucsd .
 edu