Subject: Re: Signature Line Policies??
From: David Lloyd-Jones <dlj @ pobox . com>
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 1996 23:04:20 -0400 (EDT)
To: alancz @ ix . netcom . com (Alan Czarnek)
Cc: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

Alan,

There is a byte of Netiquette of long standing that no .sig shall be more
than four lines.  People tend to be relaxed about it: on sci.econ.research,
which I moderate, it takes a lot of these guys five lines to get to the
building their Institute is in, let alone the fax numbers, e-mail addresses
and office hours...

Still there's nothing to stop you going back to the Good Olde Days -- only
two of text if you use two for lines of asterisks.

                           Cheers,

                               -dlj.

At 07:21 PM 03/09/96 -0700, Alan Czarnek wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I have a couple of people on my list who seem to post mainly to
>advertise things in their sig line..... most messages from them
>look something like this....
>
>>From Joe Shmoe.......
>-------------------------------------
>Yes, Sandy, I agree with your comment!
>
>Joe
>
>-----------
>
>ATTENTION!!!
>
>Visit Joe's Internet Spamarama!!!
>
>All the spam you need in one convenient location!
>Come visit us at http:/www.spam.com/spam/spam/galore.html
>
>Check out our daily specials and new items...
>
>Blah Blah Blah........
>
>In other words their commercial sig line is far longer than
>any message that they ever post.  Do any of you list managers
>have any workable policies to deal with this problem????
>
>Thanks,
>
>Alan Cz

Indexed By Date Previous: Signature Line Policies??