Subject: Re: Is the lists command legit
From: "Lazlo Nibble" <lazlo @ swcp . com>
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 1996 20:17:21 -0600 (MDT)
To: list-managers @ greatcircle . com (lm)

> Wait a second.  One the one hand you bemoan the fact people can get your
> subscriber lists then you whine about having to make the subscriber
> lists private.  Which is it?  Do you want people to be able to get at
> your subscriber lists or not?

I'd like to be able to leave my subscriber lists world-readable without it
inevitably leading to abuse of that information by spam-spewing sleazebags.
Kind of like I was able to do until about eighteen months ago.

> If you run a mailing list and don't want your subscriber lists going out
> then don't make them available to the public.

Wow, what a trenchant and insightful observation.  Let's all give Mike a
big hand!

> Michael Sullivan                     sullivan @
 fa .
 disney .
 com
> Walt Disney Feature Animation        +1 818 560 8196 (voice)
> 500 S. Buena Vista St.               +1 818 560 8290 (fax)
> Burbank, CA  91521-4870

I take it from the fact that you provide this information "publicly", you
wouldn't mind someone wandering over to rec.arts.disney.* and telling
everyone that they're welcome to call you to chat about what a jerk they
think Eisner is, ask for tips on breaking into the biz or getting
replacements for their laser-rotted copies of the BatB "Work-In-Progress"
LD, email you for GIFs of Esmeralda sticking things up herself, etc. etc.
After all, if you didn't want the information abused, you wouldn't
let anyone have it, right?

--
::: Lazlo (lazlo @
 swcp .

Indexed By Date Previous: list plundering