Subject: Re: Is the lists command legit
From: sullivan @ fa . disney . com
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 1996 10:14:25 -0700
To: List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM

> I don't like having to make my lists more and more "private" with every
> passing year, but these kinds of problems are dragging every list manager
> further and further down that road.  If you leave subscriber information
> viewable to the world or make list names available via a "lists" command
> or allow open posting to a list, some jerk will inevitably come along
> who's willing to abuse that fact.  And when you're picking up the pieces
> afterward, some other jerk will be *doubly* sure to let you know that he
> thinks you "asked for it" . . .

(A "jerk" responds--lovely method of discussion you have)

Wait a second.  One the one hand you bemoan the fact people can get your
subscriber lists then you whine about having to make the subscriber lists
private.  Which is it?  Do you want people to be able to get at your subscriber
lists or not?  You can't have your cake and yadda, yadda, yadda.  If you
run a mailing list and don't want your subscriber lists going out then don't
make them available to the public.  Since I run my lists mostly by hand that's
easy for me--I just don't mail the subscriber list if people ask for it--so
maybe I'm missing something here.  Is making subscriber lists unavailable to
the public such a hard thing in the automated packages?
---
Michael Sullivan                     sullivan @
 fa .
 disney .
 com
Walt Disney Feature Animation        +1 818 560 8196 (voice)
500 S. Buena Vista St.               +1 818 560 8290 (fax)
Burbank, CA  91521-4870

Indexed By Date Previous: Re: Is the lists command legit?