Subject: Re: Is the lists command legit?
From: "David A. Burnet" <dburnet @ well . com>
Date: Tue, 03 Sep 1996 09:44:13 -0400
To: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

A point well made; it strikes me more and more that there is too strong a
similarity between rapists and robbers who claim, "Well, the woman/house was
so attractive, it was cleary an invitation to rape/rob".

Such a statement is about shifting blame for anti-social behavior onto others.

At 11:04 PM 9/2/96 -0600, you wrote:
>I don't like having to make my lists more and more "private" with every
>passing year, but these kinds of problems are dragging every list manager
>further and further down that road.  If you leave subscriber information
>viewable to the world or make list names available via a "lists" command
>or allow open posting to a list, some jerk will inevitably come along
>who's willing to abuse that fact.  And when you're picking up the pieces
>afterward, some other jerk will be *doubly* sure to let you know that he
>thinks you "asked for it" . . .

-David

David A. Burnet <dburnet @
 well .
 com>;  Jarrettsville, MD; USA
    Permanent Email Forwarding: <dburnet @
 pobox .
 org .
 sg>
	      Email Backup: <dburnet @
 us .
 net>

Indexed By Date Previous: Network outages?