Subject: FWD> spamorama
From: Ken Bourbeau <bourbeau @ worldpath . net>
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 1996 07:42:43 -0400 (EDT)
To: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM
Cc: jeff @ addimension . com

Received from the Boston Computer Society mailinglist. Thought it would be
of interest to all here:

>Date: Mon, 2 Sep 1996 21:49:02 -0400
>From: darius @
 world .
 std .
 com (Darius Thabit)
>To: isig @
 bcs .
 org
>Subject: FWD> spamorama
>Cc: nh-isig @
 bcs .
 org
>Sender: owner-isig @
 bcs .
 org
 bcs .
 org

>FYI ...
>
>------------------------------------
>
>Date: Sun, 1 Sep 1996 18:33:43 -0700 (PDT)
>From: Phil Agre <pagre @
 weber .
 ucsd .
 edu>

>[An RRE subscriber has found the spammers' secret clubhouse.  Don't flame
>or trash them, but I think it would be great if somebody wanted to monitor
>the list and/or read the archives and write a thoughtful commentary on the
>spammers' methods and thinking.  I should say that not everyone on the list
>is a spammer, but many are.]
>
>=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
>This message was forwarded through the Red Rock Eater News Service (RRE).
>Send any replies to the original author, listed in the From: field below.
>You are welcome to send the message along to others but please do not use
>the "redirect" command.  For information on RRE, including instructions
>for (un)subscribing, send an empty message to  rre-help @
 weber .
 ucsd .
 edu
>=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
>
>Date: Sun, 1 Sep 1996 18:43:31 -0500
>From: <<an RRE subscriber>>
>
>You might be interested to know about a list that appears to be gaining in
>credibility among Internet marketers, the DEMA (Direct Email marketing
>Association) list.  I detest unsolicted commercial email but joined the list
>just to keep tabs on what they're up to.
>
>Topics include such things as which newsgroup email-gathering software is
>the best, how to make your unsolicted email targeted for the group so it's
>more easily accepted, etc.
>
>I was mildly amused once that the moderator clipped a poster's sig file
>because it exceeded the "6 lines dictated by netiquette"!  I emailed and
>asked, "Is it ok to waste someone else's resources but not your own?".  He
>wasn't amused, though.  Needless to say my comments didn't make it to the
>list.
>
>DEMA postings are archived at http://kww.com/dema/.

Best to ya from the Sticks o New Hampshire,
Kenny

"I just showed you my own personal hell, and you
want me to show you heaven?" MM 3/24/96
 worldpath .
 net
Rod Stewart Digest email:  rodfans @