Subject: Re: Is the lists command legit?
From: meo @ schoneal . com (Miles O'Neal)
Date: Mon, 2 Sep 1996 23:31:57 -0500 (CDT)
To: kynn @ idyllmtn . com (Kynn Bartlett)
Cc: dbigham @ cantec . com, list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

Kynn Bartlett said...

|Except that's what yellow pages are for -- looking up phone numbers.
|Mailing lists are generally not a way for people who aren't on the lists
|to get your email address -- they serve a different purpose.

I'm sorry - but I really can't see what else a public
"lists" command is for.  If it's private, and someone
joins to get the list and leaves - that may well be
another matter.

All our lists are private, for specific reasons which
vary from simply not wanting to moderate the list, to
being by invitation only, to simply avoiding spammers.

-Miles

On one, I got tired of having to deal with several attempted
subs per week from list-seekers, who just wanted to see what
the [invitational] list was about...