From: Jody Boyd <tcs @ earthlink . net>
Date: Mon, 02 Sep 1996 18:02:10 -0400
To: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

At 05:15 PM 9/2/96 EDT, you wrote:

>Something seems very, very wrong with this. I've never heard of
>anything like this before. Can a Email list maintainer be held liable for
>something someone else writes?

I would say it depends on the previous behavior of the list maintainer. If
he was in the habbit of coming down on those that made disparaging remarks
about other members or products and DID NOT do the same in this case he may
be liable. I'd doubt it though.

It could be he is wanted in court to provide evidence to support the
plaintif claim. There would have to be real damage which I don't think would
be possible regarding an opinion of a product unless it was technically
wrong. Even then proving real damage over a discussion list is doubtful.

---
Please note new return address. The Earthlink account is subject to be
closed soon.

Indexed By Date Previous: List owner named in law suit (fwd)