Subject: Re: Lists as 411
From: Todd Day <today @ di . com>
Date: Mon, 02 Sep 1996 13:44:44 -0700
To: List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM

>I don't see much difference between the above  example and an instance of my
>car breaking down in San Francisco (I live in Ohio), and my looking up
>Mechanics in the Yellow Pages. In this instance I am "talking about
>contacting individuals at random simply based on their presence" in the
>Yellow Pages.

Change Yellow to White.  Actually, even then, it isn't a good analogy.
You'd have to look through the subscriber list to the San Francisco Examiner
to make the equivalent analogy.

I put my name on mailing lists to subscribe to the dialog.  If I never post,
no one should know whether I'm subscribed or not.  Of course, the use of the
subscriber list is really a list manager decision, and should be known by
the subscriber up front.  If there is no policy, I don't think it is too
much of a leap of faith to expect that the subscriber list will not be used
except for the purposes of delivering the list traffic.

-todd-

I have a feeling that this again will be another one of those "religious"
topics, on which there is no consensus.

Follow-Ups:
Indexed By Date Previous: Re: Is the lists command legit?