Subject: Re: Is the lists command legit?
From: Dave Bigham <dbigham @ cantec . com>
Date: Mon, 02 Sep 1996 00:35:13 -0400
To: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

At 03:57 PM 8/30/96 -0600, you wrote:
>> Let me pose a question, and see how list managers feel about this. I'm a
>> biological oceanographer and don't subscribe to any lists in physical
>> oceanography, but I have a lot of colleagues in physical oceanography
>> and often want to contact them for legitimate scientific reasons. Am I
>> commiting a serious abuse if I look at the subscriber lists in physical
>> oceanography to see if I can find Email address of my colleagues?
>
>It sounds from your example like you're talking about contacting
>individuals at random simply based on their presence on a particular
>interest list.  If so, yes, I consider that abusive behavior.  My
>presence on a mailing list is an invitation for mail *from that list*,
>not from anyone else.
>
>--
>::: Lazlo (lazlo @
 swcp .
 com; http://www.swcp.com/lazlo)

Man, You've got a *serious* problem with the definition of abusive behavior.
it's a public list, it's a public resource. Its value to any individual will
depend on that part of the resource which is of interest.  Be it e-mail
addresses or knowledge, it's still a resource.

I don't see much difference between the above  example and an instance of my
car breaking down in San Francisco (I live in Ohio), and my looking up
Mechanics in the Yellow Pages. In this instance I am "talking about
contacting individuals at random simply based on their presence" in the
Yellow Pages.

The abusive behavior is not the getting of names and/or mailing addresses
from list managers, but rather, what it to be ultimately done with them.

Your presence on a mailing list is not an invitation for anything.  It is an
agreement to participate with the list and its members and to accept the
consequences of being on the list.

Dave Bigham
CanTec Communications

Indexed By Date Previous: Re: Is the lists command legit?