Subject: Is the lists command legit?
From: "Lazlo Nibble" <lazlo @ swcp . com>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 1996 15:57:39 -0600 (MDT)
To: list-managers @ greatcircle . com (lm)

> Let me pose a question, and see how list managers feel about this. I'm a
> biological oceanographer and don't subscribe to any lists in physical
> oceanography, but I have a lot of colleagues in physical oceanography
> and often want to contact them for legitimate scientific reasons. Am I
> commiting a serious abuse if I look at the subscriber lists in physical
> oceanography to see if I can find Email address of my colleagues?

It sounds from your example like you're talking about contacting
individuals at random simply based on their presence on a particular
interest list.  If so, yes, I consider that abusive behavior.  My
presence on a mailing list is an invitation for mail *from that list*,
not from anyone else.

--
::: Lazlo (lazlo @
 swcp .