Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(January 1996)

Subject: Re: eagle.ais.net are at it again
From: outings @ netcom . com (Steve Outing)
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 1996 14:10:19 -0700
To: List-Managers @ greatcircle . com

On 1/28/96, Kjetil Torgrim Homme wrote:
>I got forged subscriptions to all the majordomo lists at my site. The
>targetted accounts were:
>
>rentaylor @
 aol .
 com
>pammcgraw @
 aol .
 com
>newsmaster @
 aol .
 com
>mtvslave @
 aol .
 com

These addresses hit all my majordomo lists yesterday as a group, so I was
suspicious, too. BTW, pammcgraw @
 aol .
 com is the legitimate address of Pam McGraw,
head of public relations at AOL.

Is there any way to prevent forged subscriptions? My lists are set up so that
a request from another address who typed "subscribe online-news other-
address" would get intercepted and sent to me for approval. These ones went
through automatically as though they were legit and came from the address
owner.

Steve Outing                                   Planetary News LLC
outings @
 netcom .
 com                             Boulder, Colorado, USA
owner-online-newspapers @
 marketplace .
 com        voice: 303-543-7810
owner-online-news @
 marketplace .
 com              fax/voice: 303-543-8550
          Consulting services for the newspaper new media industry
---Read my Stop The Presses! column: http://www.mediainfo.com/ep/stop.htm---

Follow-Ups:
Indexed By Date Previous: Re: List-Managers-Digest V5 #16
From: Billy Harvey <HarveyW @ wpc . af . mil>
Next: Re: eagle.ais.net are at it again
From: PMDAtropos @ aol . com
Indexed By Thread Previous: eagle.ais.net are at it again
From: Kjetil Torgrim Homme <kjetilho @ ifi . uio . no>
Next: forgery rejection
From: Al Gilman <asgilman @ access . digex . net>