Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(January 1996)

Subject: Re: Mystery Forwarder
From: Al Gilman <asgilman @ access . digex . net>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 1996 14:04:52 -0500 (EST)
To: alan @ znyx . com (Alan Deikman)
Cc: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

  From: Alan Deikman <alan @
 znyx .
 com>

  Does anyone have a strategy for dealing with this?

  I got a complaint from a party NOT on my list that they were receiving
  postings.  They are also getting unwanted postings from lists that are
  not mine.  I asked him to send a complete message with headers so that
  I could trace it, but when he did there was NOTHING that would indicate
  any system between mine and his that touched the message.

  Is there any legitimate way for this to happen?  Or is there a hacker
  with malignant intent that has targetted this guy?

There may be useful evidence in a log maintained by the MTA from
which the complaining party receives their mail.  Also be warned
that MUAs vary a lot in what they can/will do to preserve headers
for you.

Third-party mailbombing hacks are not unheard of.  Including
subscribing a victim to megalists.  This could even, I suppose,
be a variant where messages addressed to legitimate subscribers
are intercepted and bcc'd to the victim.  That would leave no
trace in the subscription info of the list used.

Al Gilman