Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(January 1996)

Subject: RE: Winmail.dat and its friends
From: "David Johnson (Exchange)" <djohnson @ wspu . microsoft . com>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 1996 15:20:22 -0800
To: "list-managers @ stonewall . demon . co . uk" <list-managers @ stonewall . demon . co . uk>, "'nigel @ stonewall . demon . co . uk'" <nigel @ stonewall . demon . co . uk>

The Windows 95 Exchange client has an option to send TNEF for each recipient
in the personal address book. Have the user clear the checkbox labeled,
"Always send to this recipient in Microsoft Exchange rich-text format", on
the properties for the list's address in his/her address book.

David  C. Johnson
Program Manager - Exchange Product Unit
>----------
>From: 	Nigel Whitfield[SMTP:nigel @
 stonewall .
 demon .
 co .
 uk]
>Sent: 	Tuesday, January 23, 1996 1:32 AM
>To: 	list-managers @
 stonewall .
 demon .
 co .
 uk
>Subject: 	Winmail.dat and its friends
>
>One of the lists that I run has recently started receiving
>postings from users running Exchange, complete with irritating
>WINMAIL.DAT uuencoded enclosures, or application/ms-tnef MIME
>parts.
>
>Is there a foolproof way of configuring the exchange client not
>to send this stuff, or is it as broken as I suspect? I know you
>can turn of MIME in the control panel, but is that what's
>resulting in the arguably more offensive UUencoded stuff?
>
>My solution so far is to remove posting permission from those
>people who have done this, and screen each of their messages
>manually, but this is no good when more than a few people are
>using Exchange.
>
>I could alter the list software to check for this stuff, but I
>don't really approve of scanning for content in a message. Is
>there a simpler alternative (like, perhaps, telling people to use
>a particular font in Exchange to avoid the junk being created in
>the first place) ?
>
>Nigel.
>
>--
>Nigel Whitfield
>nigel @
 diversity .
 org .
 uk                                      Digital
>Diversity
>nigel @
 stonewall .
 demon .
 co .
 uk                                      and
>uk-motss
>*****     All demon.co.uk sites are independently run internet hosts
>*****

Indexed By Date Previous: Re: 3rd party auto-reply mailing list attack