Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(January 1996)

From: nigel @ stonewall . demon . co . uk
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 1996 12:22:43 GMT
To: list-managers @ stonewall . demon . co . uk

In article <m0tdgWT-000UreC @
 hock .
 bolis .
 sf-bay .
 org> amillar @
 bolis .
 sf-bay .
 org (Alan Millar) writes:
>I'm not sure what you mean by "incorrectly", but RFC1123 clearly
>states that non-delivery reports must be sent to the envelope
>address, which is the From_ line.  That is the only correct address
>for error messages to be sent to.

That's all very well, but there are a *lot* of systems out there that
aren't compliant. Maybe I've come across these more because I'm in the
UK, and I suspect that a lot of people simply bodged their old JNT
compliant software to work with the internet protocols.

I regularly receive bounces to the From: address, Reply-To: and
To: list-managers

Nigel.
--
Nigel Whitfield