Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(January 1996)

From: "Alan Millar" <amillar @ bolis . sf-bay . org>
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 1996 08:54:09 -800
To: Keith Moore <moore @ cs . utk . edu>, "'list-managers @ greatcircle . com'" <list-managers @ greatcircle . com>
Comments: Authenticated sender is <amillar @ hock . bolis . sf-bay . org>

On 19 Jan 96 at 17:33, Keith Moore wrote:

> It's not really clear from RFC 822, but From/Reply-to should probably only be
> used for human-generated replies.

A number of things aren't clear in RFC 822; that's why RFC 1123 was
written.

> many systems incorrectly send error messages (i.e. nondelivery reports) to the
> >From header address.  Such lists usually try to filter out error messages,

I'm not sure what you mean by "incorrectly", but RFC1123 clearly
states that non-delivery reports must be sent to the envelope
address, which is the From_ line.  That is the only correct address
for error messages to be sent to.

- Alan
----
Alan Millar              amillar @
 bolis .
 SF-Bay .
 org
System Administrator     http://www.bolis.com
Windows/NT - From the people who brought you EDLIN  -Herb Peyerl

Follow-Ups:
Indexed By Date Previous: Re: Automated replies and mailing lists