Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(January 1996)

Subject: Re: How was "-request" coined?
From: meo @ schoneal . com (Miles O'Neal)
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 1996 09:27:16 -0600 (CST)
To: dattier @ wwa . com (David W. Tamkin)
Cc: meo @ schoneal . com, list-managers @ greatcircle . com

David W. Tamkin said...

|But Miles O'Neal gave me this pat (as in what he did to his own back) answer:

Nah.  I do occasionally scratch it, tho.

|| Please add me top the list.
|| Please remove me from the list.
|| Sounds like requests to me...

The early net was primarily composed of literate, thoughtful people.
Or at least geeks.  The -request concept was of, by and for such people.
These people usually at least glanced at the instructions, or go the
whole rundown from a net-savvy friend.

As the net grew, it was made up more and more of people with less and
less experience, consideration, intelligence, or whatever (there are
plenty of others as well, but this number grew, and so did the percentage).
So what was obvious then is counter-intuitive for many netters today.

-Miles, you scratch my monitor, I'll pat yours.