Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(January 1996)

Subject: Re: How was "-request" coined?
From: ala @ LunaCity . com (alyson l abramowitz)
Date: Sun, 07 Jan 96 17:48:36 PST
To: Brent @ GreatCircle . COM (Brent Chapman)
Cc: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

There were many lists before Risks,  Human-Nets,  and SF-Lovers.
Only they were small and many were manually done.  SF-Lovers was
the first huge mailing list on the Internet (then the ARPAnet).
I believe Human-Nets came next.  There were a number of other
lists that came after that:  Telecom-Digest and WorkS,  come to
mind.  I believe Risks came much later on the scene.  SFL,
Human-Nets,  and Telecom-Digest were already in operation by 1981.

Best,
Alyson

PS The comment about being able to find the administrator is why
Roger created the -Request box.  Why he called it that rather than
some other name,  I don't know.--ala