Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(March 1995)

Subject: How to Manage List When Away, Etc.
From: mpmNS @ hamp . hampshire . edu (Michelle Murrain)
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 95 11:05:09 EST
To: List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM

Linda Henneman <frugal @
 best .
 com> writes:

>I'll hopefully be launching my very first majordomo mailing list
>(fully-moderated) next week and was just wondering what you other list
>managers do when you go out of town?  Do you all have laptops and those
>little modems the size of a playing card and just log in while vacationing
>or on business trips, etc.?

Well, I've been managing 3 lists, two for about 3 years, one for 2 years,
and I just hope that they don't implode or explode while I'm away. I don't
have a laptop, and my trips are mostly under one week. (Besides, if I want
a vacation, I want a *vacation*!) I make sure all piled up list business is
done, send a note to my list letting folk know I'm away (so admin requests
and the like that are not automatic will be delayed), and keep my fingers
crossed.

>And how about, God forbid, if you become ill and perhaps even need
>hospitalization, surgery, or are otherwise incapacitated? Do you have a
>backup person who you trust your user id and password with to carry on in
>your stead? What kind of contingency plans do you have in place?

Hmmm, I hadn't even thought of that one.

Now that I think of it, it might behoove me to find someone (maybe who's on
the list, perhaps) to volunteer to be a backup list manager. My lists are
pretty low volume (two <7 messages/week, one is about 10/day these days),
few subscribers (one <200, two <400), and I've only had one of them explode
at all. The explosions, which thankfully are *rare* (like mail loops when
net.idiots use vacation messages and forget to unsubscribe from the list)
are the ones to worry about. If the list implodes and stops sending out
messages for one reason or another (happens fairly often to me, like twice
a year on my old system, less often now) it can wait till I get back.

                        Michelle
Michelle Murrain, Ph.D.                     email and finger:
School of Natural Science                mpmNS @
 hamp .
 hampshire .
 edu