Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(March 1995)

Subject: How to Manage List When Away, Etc.
From: Linda Henneman <frugal @ best . com>
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 1995 19:40:23 -0800 (PST)
To: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

I'll hopefully be launching my very first majordomo mailing list
(fully-moderated) next week and was just wondering what you other list
managers do when you go out of town?  Do you all have laptops and those
little modems the size of a playing card and just log in while vacationing
or on business trips, etc.?

And how about, God forbid, if you become ill and perhaps even need
hospitalization, surgery, or are otherwise incapacitated? Do you have a
backup person who you trust your user id and password with to carry on in
your stead? What kind of contingency plans do you have in place?

Managing a list strikes me as similar to operating a one-person business
in that you have to be available much of the time. However, w/a one-person
business you can tell customers you won't be available or even let an
answering machine do that. Do you ever announce to your list not to post
anything to it or make any requests, especially if it's a fully-moderated
one, if you know you might not be physically able to deal w/them for
awhile? TIA for any pearls of wisdom you can toss my way. Linda

Linda Henneman
manager, frugal-l
frugal @
 best .