Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(March 1995)

Subject: Re: List abusers database
From: James Cook <jcook @ netcom . com>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 1995 17:30:26 -0800 (PST)
To: Alan Deikman <alan @ znyx . com>
Cc: List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM

On Fri, 17 Mar 1995, Alan Deikman wrote:

> Issues of slander are defensible when supported by objective factual
> information, particularly if it is verifiable.  If a data base documents
> that A) the plantiff said this, and B) other parties objected to that,
> and C) the list manager had taken the action to take that person off
> their private list (kick them out of the house, so to speak), and that
> information is accurate, and there were witnesses to all those facts,
> and there were no further annotations in the data base, then I don't see
> where an issue of slanderous libel would apply.

Generally true... but the law of slander generally varies from state to
state, territory to territory. So you'd need to know the rules where
relevant.

Also, the truth of a matter is not the sole issue to be shown to defend
all libel or slander suits. There are other issues that can arise to
defend. But I think it's enough for me to have offered what I have on
this topic, which is probably wandering off "charter for the list."

James Cook