Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(March 1995)

Subject: Re: General ettiquette guidelines
From: Jonathan Hahn <hahn @ and . com>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 1995 14:20:02 -0800
To: List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM, Majordomo-Users @ GreatCircle . COM
Cc: staff @ and . com

I manage many lists in which users add themselves via a form on a
web page.  Anyone can add anyone else to a list, and I knew that
some poeple would add others with out asking permission first.  I
handled this by modifying the mailing that goes out to new subscribers
to say that if the person was added to the list without their
knowledge, they should contact me.  In the few instances in which
this has happened, I have been able to give adequate information
about the list addition so the "victim" could figure out who put
them on.  We keep copious records of all activity and never throw
anything away.

-jonathan hahn

---
hahn @
 and .
 com
http://and.com/hahn/

> From majordomo-users-owner @
 GreatCircle .
 COM Wed Mar 15 12:53:58 1995
> Date: Wed, 15 Mar 1995 15:27:05 -0400 (AST)
> From: bill @
 biome .
 bio .
 dfo .
 ca (Bill Silvert)
> Subject: Re: General ettiquette guidelines
> To: surviver @
 ee .
 pdx .
 edu (God in Training - Mike Butry)
> Cc: List-Managers @
 GreatCircle .
 COM (List Managers),
>         Majordomo-Users @
 GreatCircle .
 COM (Majordomo Users)

> This was posted to the Majordomo-Users list, I'm copying it to the
> List-Managers list because (for a change) it is a general List issue.
>
> Although there is a need for general etiquette guidelines, this matter
> of putting other peoples' names on a list is a serious issue that
> stands out from the rest.  I have had no end of problems from someone
> copying names from one list to another, and I often end up on lists
> that I don't want to be on.
>
> I feel very strongly that no one should be added to a mailing list by
> someone else, except when the person who does so has their permission
> and assumes full responsibility for maintenance of the list.  This
> latter generally only applies to special-purpose lists like those used
> for committee mailings, where the secretary might add and delete names.
>
> Bill
>
> >Has anyone come up with some general guidelines on ettiquette that can be given
> >to new/novice list owners?  I have one list owner that pre-loaded his list with
> >over 100 addresses, and now I, as majordomo-owner, am caught in the middle of
> >irrate subscribee's who were never asked to be on this list and the list owner.
> >
> >I don't want this to happen again, and would like to prevent other such social
> >fax paux (phopaws) from happening.  So, if anyone has come up with such
> >guidelines, I would greatly appreciate a copy.  If not, send me suggestions and
> >I'll compile a set of guidelines.  My e-mail is surviver @
 ee .
  .
 pdx .
 edu

> >/////////////////////// O'boy - Dr. Sam Beckett ////////////////////////////
> >Mike Butry - System Administrator
> >Computer Action Team
> >CLAW - emeritus
> >surviver @
 ee .
 pdx .
 edu
> >\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
>
> --
> Bill Silvert, Habitat Ecology Div., Bedford Inst. Oceanography
> P. O. Box 1006, Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CANADA B2Y 4A2
> Personal InterNet Address: silvert @
 biome .
 bio .
 ns .
 ca
> HED runs a WWW server at URL=http://biome.bio.dfo.ca

Indexed By Date Previous: Re: General ettiquette guidelines