Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(March 1995)

Subject: Re: General ettiquette guidelines
From: bill @ biome . bio . dfo . ca (Bill Silvert)
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 1995 15:27:05 -0400 (AST)
To: surviver @ ee . pdx . edu (God in Training - Mike Butry)
Cc: List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM (List Managers), Majordomo-Users @ GreatCircle . COM (Majordomo Users)

This was posted to the Majordomo-Users list, I'm copying it to the
List-Managers list because (for a change) it is a general List issue.

Although there is a need for general etiquette guidelines, this matter
of putting other peoples' names on a list is a serious issue that
stands out from the rest.  I have had no end of problems from someone
copying names from one list to another, and I often end up on lists
that I don't want to be on.

I feel very strongly that no one should be added to a mailing list by
someone else, except when the person who does so has their permission
and assumes full responsibility for maintenance of the list.  This
latter generally only applies to special-purpose lists like those used
for committee mailings, where the secretary might add and delete names.

Bill

>Has anyone come up with some general guidelines on ettiquette that can be given
>to new/novice list owners?  I have one list owner that pre-loaded his list with
>over 100 addresses, and now I, as majordomo-owner, am caught in the middle of
>irrate subscribee's who were never asked to be on this list and the list owner.
>
>I don't want this to happen again, and would like to prevent other such social
>fax paux (phopaws) from happening.  So, if anyone has come up with such
>guidelines, I would greatly appreciate a copy.  If not, send me suggestions and
>I'll compile a set of guidelines.  My e-mail is surviver @
 ee .
  .
 pdx .
 edu

>/////////////////////// O'boy - Dr. Sam Beckett ////////////////////////////
>Mike Butry - System Administrator
>Computer Action Team
>CLAW - emeritus
>surviver @
 ee .
 pdx .
 edu

--
Bill Silvert, Habitat Ecology Div., Bedford Inst. Oceanography
P. O. Box 1006, Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CANADA B2Y 4A2

Indexed By Date Previous: Re: Correct list