Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(March 1995)

Subject: List abusers database
From: "Fred H Olson WB0YQM" <fholson @ maroon . tc . umn . edu>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 95 06:21:10 CST
To: List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM

I would participate in such a database tho I have not had much problem.
I do wonder if it's worth the effort.

I would propose that the format be name, email address and url of
sample objectionable posts from the abuser.  It's hard to charge libel
if you dont comment.  One could even have a discalimer such as:
"No implications is intended by names simply being mentioned in this
archive; please use the author's words to draw any conclusions."

Try to stick to the facts.  Let the abuser speak for themselves.
The effort to maintain it would be minimal if the database were a
non linked searchable WWW archive of email messages (obscure URL shared
among participating list managers only).

The lack of good information to enforce accountability and appropriate
'peer pressure' lets a lot of anti social behavior thrive.  It's sort of
like people will write graffitti on bathroom walls that they wouldn't say
in public.

Fred

--
Fred H. Olson   fholson @
 uci .

Follow-Ups:
Indexed By Date Previous: Re: Non-subscriber postings