Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(March 1995)

Subject: Re: List Moderation and Profanity
From: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou @ LAGAVULIN . PDL . CS . CMU . EDU>
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 1995 04:23:11 -0500
To: Amy Goodloe <agoodloe @ best . com>
Cc: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

> I have a similar concern.  There is someone who is subscribed to one of my
> lists who is clearl NOT welcome on the list; the list policies state as
> much and he has been told privately twice.  The problem is that I can't
> seem to unsubscribe him, as his address does not appear to be listed in the
> majordomo listmember file.  I've tried searching for as many variations as
> possible, but I can't seem to figure out HOW he's getting list mail -- b/c
> it must be under a name that IS on the list; otherwise he wouldn't be
> "allowed" by majordomo to post to it.

Well, assuming that the restriction that he must be on the list to
post to it is actually in effect have you tried logging all incoming
mail for the list (i.e. dumping it into a log file via a sendmail
alias), and comparing all of the addresses in that (e.g. From, Sender,
etc.) against those in the 'bad posts' and the subscription list?

If you only look at the mail after majordomo has resent it, some of
the "jucier" headers may have been clobbered.

chris