Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(March 1995)

Subject: Re: opening lists to non-subscribers...
From: "Kimberly Long" <siberia @ usis . com>
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 1995 17:05:56 +0000
To: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

elendil @
 mintir .
 new-orleans .
 la .
 us (Edward J. Branley) wrote in part:

> >[...]
>
> This will vary from list to list.  I keep my New Orleans list open to
> non-subscribers so folks can ask for info about the city without joining.
> I suppose some folks regard asking questions of a list membership without
> joining as being a bit rude, in the same way some people find messages that say
> things like "please e-mail me, I don't read this group regularly" rude on
> USENET.  The default on my mail software was also to allow anyone to post, so
> majordomo is not unique in this regard.
> [...]

I hope I am not being perceived as argumentative by furthering this
discussion.  I am simply am trying to understand all thoughts on this
issue.  :-)

In regards to your example, wouldn't your regular subscribers get
tired of seeing repeated requests: "send me info about New Orleans"
from people that are not subscribers to the list?  I would suspect
that you have developed a (I always want to put "an" in front of FAQ,
it just sounds better) FAQ for your list.  Wouldn't your subscribers
be better served by a deflection of repeated requests?  You could
even set up an infobot to automatically reply to what would appear to
be a rather common question thereby improving your S/N ratio on your
list.

Just thinking outloud....  :-)

Namaste'

Kimberly Long
siberia @
 usis .
 com

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it
is because he hears a different drummer.  Let him step to
the music he hears, however measured or far away.
)O(                                               ~~Thoreau

Follow-Ups:
Indexed By Date Previous: opening lists to non-subscribers...