Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(March 1995)

Subject: Re: Proposed Trouble Data Base
From: Linda Henneman <frugal @ best . com>
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 1995 12:27:40 -0800 (PST)
To: Alan Deikman <alan @ znyx . com>
Cc: Sharon Shea <sshea @ world . std . com>, list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

Alan, I don't feel comfortable keeping a list, either. I worry about
people on it finding out and perhaps trying to bring some legal action
for libel against the person who keeps the database plus people who give
input. Even if their claims have no merit, you still have to pay to get
an attorney and defend yourself. I'm reminded of when I did volunteer
work for a tenants' rights organization and we discussed keeping a list
of landlords that people had had bad experiences w/so people could call
and check it out before renting w/someone and it couldn't be set up for
the above reason. Plus, mean-spirited people could give false information
so people who don't deserve to have negative things said about them could
end up having that happen. This may be comparing applies and oranges
somewhat as there's not a business reputation at stake generally in the
case of the "sicko" list abusers, but IMHO it still applies.

I'd like to say a great big *thank you* to everyone who's responded to my
original post about profanity on lists--had no idea it would generate
such feedback! It's been very, very helpful and made me feel very
comfortable to be firm in my resolve not to allow what I feel is
inappropriate material on my list. Best wishes to my comrades in the
world of list managing! Linda Henneman (frugal @
 best .
 com)