Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(March 1995)

Subject: Re: List Moderation and Profanity
From: Chris G Demetriou <Chris_G_Demetriou @ LAGAVULIN . PDL . CS . CMU . EDU>
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 1995 04:39:17 -0500
To: Sharon Shea <sshea @ WORLD . STD . COM>
Cc: Alan Deikman <alan @ znyx . com>, list-managers @ greatcircle . com, Amy Goodloe <agoodloe @ BEST . COM>

> Yup, some are men. And there is a problem with men using women's email.
> But I've found some women to be particularly hostile and vulgar - toward
> women! - as well. And women who masquerade as men get themselves into hot
> water also. Administrate an email list - and you'll meet them all.

Thankfully, i don't run lists where the posters' gender and assumed gender
don't come up often...  8-)

> BTW, I have seen some amazingly harsh exchanges on very 'professional' lists.

Yeah.  i think this is especially likely if one or more of the people
on the list who have reason to send mail to it often are either
immature in their reactions to people's posts or brief to the point of
insulting the people they're responding to...

Since majordomo's written perl, it's really easy (a few lines of perl,
at most; see below) to add keyword matches to "resend" so that abusive
mail is filtered out and bounced to the list owner.  In general, i'm
not of the opinion that the words "fuck" and "asshole" are appropriate
for technical, computer-oriented lists, and i have no qualms about
bouncing messages containing them.  8-)

the chunk of perl to do it looks like:

            if (defined($opt_s) && ! defined($approved) && (
                /\bfuck\b/i ||
                /\basshole\b/i
                )) {
                &bounce("Keyword match");
            }

and we (actually, the guy who now runs the majordomo that serves our
lists) added it right after the "admin-request recognition heuristics"
section in "resend".  Obviously, if your list gets a lot of traffic
with those two words in it, you'll need to change it so it's a better
heuristic for abuse, but that should give you the idea...

later,

chris