Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(March 1995)

Subject: Re: List Moderation and Profanity
From: dattier @ wwa . com (David W. Tamkin)
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 1995 21:14:17 -0600 (CST)
To: sshea @ world . std . com (Sharon Shea)
Cc: alan @ znyx . com, list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM, agoodloe @ best . com

Sharon Shea wrote,

| I had one fellow(?) rip me up all over the internet as being
| 'single-handedly responsible for the demise of feminism and free speach'.
| Ah, yeah, sure. He just 'arrived' on the list - I don't think he'd ever
| seen a message from me since I rarely get into the discussions. Just
| decided to hang me up for being in charge, I suspect.

The lists I've run have never had problems with profanity, but on two of the
three I've been attacked just because a jerk decided that all list managers
perforce have the same stuck-up power made that the jerk would have if he or
she (yes, "or she") ran a list.  The higher visibility makes the list adminis-
trator the easiest target around for flamage over things that never happened.