Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(March 1995)

Subject: Re: List Moderation and Profanity
From: agoodloe @ best . com (Amy Goodloe)
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 1995 09:54:39 -0800
To: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

>> Pardon me if this road has been trod down many times before but, as
>> someone who is planning to launch a fully-moderated list very soon, I was
>> wondering how people decide what to let through when confronted
>> w/something that contains vulgar language? Of course, defining what is
>> vulgar or not varies from person to person, but does anyone have any
>> guidelines or can share w/me what they do/have done?
>>
>I found that vulgar language did a lot of damage to my 'unmoderated' list.
>I asked politely, then deleted the offender. I let any comment on any
>issue go by - except personal attacks and vulgar language. I explained that
>it was like inviting people to a party at my house - I sure hoped they
>had a good time, but being genuinely offensive was out of order.

I have a similar concern.  There is someone who is subscribed to one of my
lists who is clearl NOT welcome on the list; the list policies state as
much and he has been told privately twice.  The problem is that I can't
seem to unsubscribe him, as his address does not appear to be listed in the
majordomo listmember file.  I've tried searching for as many variations as
possible, but I can't seem to figure out HOW he's getting list mail -- b/c
it must be under a name that IS on the list; otherwise he wouldn't be
"allowed" by majordomo to post to it.

I've gotten notes from a few subscribers telling me about what this guy has
done on other lists, and I'm quite sure he knows he isn't welcome on this
list and has deliberately made it tough to track down his subscribed
address.  Any ideas on how I CAN track it down, or on what to do?  The list
is currently not moderated, but I suppose if all else fails I *could* just
make it moderated...

Thanks,

--Amy
agoodloe @
 best .

Indexed By Date Previous: Re: List Moderation and Profanity