Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(March 1995)

Subject: List Moderation and Profanity
From: Linda Henneman <frugal @ best . com>
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 1995 18:51:14 -0800 (PST)
To: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

Pardon me if this road has been trod down many times before but, as
someone who is planning to launch a fully-moderated list very soon, I was
wondering how people decide what to let through when confronted
w/something that contains vulgar language? Of course, defining what is
vulgar or not varies from person to person, but does anyone have any
guidelines or can share w/me what they do/have done?

I know from other moderated lists I'm on that certain messages don't get
posted to the list because they're off the topic or repetitious or for
rather benign reasons like that. So, I don't really think it's a first
amendment issue. They can say what they like elsewhere maybe, but just not
on my list. Sort of like the newspaper won't print certain things even if
you do have a paid subscription to it.

I've also seen that when someone is vulgar they draw many flames on (and
probably off) the list so it's not something other people welcome. I'd
like to spare my subscribers the exposure but am not really into being
"big brother" and heavy w/the censoring, either. TIA for any info. Linda

Follow-Ups:
Indexed By Date Previous: Re: suspicious looking subscribe message points to 800 fax gateways